Enjoy your food.
Henry Clarisey, 21, scored 2.8 million views last month as dismayed TikTokers watched him choke on dog food ‘for the gains’.
“I tasted dry kibble for dogs, and [it] tasted like little bits of rocks,” the Buffalo resident told the Post, recalling the gag-inducing food. “[It was] not at all comfortable to eat, and it was super hard to bite.
TikTok’s gym brothers will do anything to consume more protein – and their latest indulgence is even more disgusting than a chalky smoothie.
These training warriors have posted what appear to be satirical clips of themselves feasting on porridge meant for puppies. Others joked that they would snack on kibble if it meant getting ripped.
“I definitely wouldn’t do it again,” admitted Clarisey, “even though the dog food is high in protein, it’s definitely not worth it.”
Clarisey first discovered the dog food is high in protein after watching a TikTok in which a user warned other gym rats not to be “tempted” to try it.
He did not follow this advice. Clarisey, who has more than 171,000 followers on the platform, pledged to sample the bitter bits if her own video hit 15,000 likes.
To his surprise, the clip consumed 21.2 million views and 2.5 million likes.
“I said if I got 15,000 likes I’d give it a try, but I ended up getting 2.5 million, and I felt like I had to try it for the video,” he told The Post.
He said he thought the colossal protein concentration of 666 grams in 200 grams of Pedigree was “a hassle” on popular diet and fitness app MyFitnessPal, but he decided to please his followers anyway.
The supposed miscalculation on the diet tracker would mean that a single cup of kibble would have a much higher protein content than even bodybuilders need in a day.
For reference, adult men only need about 56 grams of protein per day. Excess protein consumption can actually be harmful to human health, leading to complications such as kidney damage.
Clarisey isn’t the first person to taste dog treats. Tennis star Serena Williams even dared to snack on her pup’s room service meal in 2016, getting “really sick” afterwards. Food blogger Sihan Lee was tricked into taste testing dog food as part of a Furry’s Kitchen stunt in 2020.
For those who bark, short-term consumption of the food probably won’t cause too much harm, although it’s not recommended.
“While most dog food ingredients are similar to human food, they are intended to meet the needs of dogs, not humans, who have different nutritional priorities,” spokesperson Melissa Majumdar said. from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, to Buzzfeed News.
According to Healthline, many pet foods are made with unappetizing ingredients, such as leftover meat, ground bones, organs, skin, and other animal parts that are “unfit for consumption. human”.
Besides the possibility of foodborne illness from contamination, some brands of dog food also contain a synthetic form of vitamin K — vitamin K3 — which can be “toxic to humans in high doses,” according to Healthline.
Although the concentration of the vitamin is low in pet foods, people shouldn’t binge on it regularly, as research has shown that it can be toxic to humans in high doses.
Clarisey certainly has no problem leaving the Purina to the pooches.
“I would definitely prefer [have] a good steak,” he said.